Living at ease in the summer can be taken for granted, especially until you feel a taste of anxiety with an air conditioner breakdown. It can hit at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and unexpectedly feel how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so toasty enfolded in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uneasiness? It might be the moment for an air conditioner replacement.
Usually, it isn’t the thermostat’s error; the settings can be working correctly, but it still reads that the temperature is above 80 degrees. It’s usually caused by an ancient or faulty air conditioner that needs a call to the experts to find out what’s wrong. There are many explanations why air conditioners break down, especially taking into consideration the weather in Elk River. Here are a couple of things that you can examine for before you call Home Comfort Heating & Air if you think your air conditioner has stopped working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your external air conditioning system that helps flow the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you scrutinize your system and find that the fan isn’t running, it means that the heat relocation isn’t transpiring, causing the warm air to remain in your home. This malfunction can also cause overheating of the compressor and other likely internal harm to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most likely troubles that Home Comfort Heating & Air sees. These dirty filters in your air conditioner decrease suitable airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season strikes. Unclean air filters can also lower the efficiency in your home and boost your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always check for an obstruction or jam in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can cause your air conditioner to decrease efficiency and slow down.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t hidden by furniture or other home items, too.
- Outside obstructions: Proper air flow could be also slowed down from exterior obstructions close to your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is hindered, it can influence it’s cooling abilities. Make sure that your system is uninhibited by obstacles and is cleaned frequently to decrease the chance of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve completed these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t working, here are a list of questions and tests that you should inspect and answer to get your system up and working again. (Only progress to the next question if the system doesn’t start after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature fixed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL spot?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box whole or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things alter your system procedure, call Home Comfort Heating & Air at 763-276-0617.
Don’t let an air conditioner failure or replacement keep you awake at night. If you follow these steps and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner working again in no time. Our team at Home Comfort Heating & Air in Elk River is always here to be of service – give us a call at 763-276-0617.