One of the most important parts of the winter is staying cozy and warm. Of course, staying comfortable is vital throughout the year, but during the winter it is even more essential. Winters in Elk River are always changing and the frostiest days can often spring up on us, sometimes when your furnace is ill-equipped. So, before you find a professional technician, here are a few things you can inspect first:
- Check your filter – unclean filters are one of the most widespread causes of unexpected furnace failures. Air has a more difficult time floating through filters once they are dusty or dirty, causing the system to switch off sometimes. The older the furnace, the more difficult it might be to find the problem, while newer furnaces are designed to find clogged and dirty filters before further problems arise. Swapping furnace filters every month or so can prevent these troubles and keep you comfortable.
- See if your batteries are weak or dead – keep constant tabs on your thermostat batteries to make sure that there isn’t a flashing low battery light or indicator on your thermostat. If there is, it’s time to switch out the batteries on your thermostat.
- Ensure that your thermostat is set to “heat” – it can be easy to neglect small things like the settings of your thermostat. Double-check this important step, especially if there was a relevant increase in temperature that may have caused you to turn off the “heat” setting.
- Check your switches – in your home’s circuit breaker panel, discover the breakers that control your furnace:
- [Ensure|Guarantee|Confirm]48] that the switch is in the On side. If it is Off or in the middle of the two sides, change the breaker to Off and then reset it to On.
- The switch that seems like a light switch should also be in the On, or Up, side. It can easily be mistaken for a real light switch, which is why it is often the difficulty with furnace troubleshooting. Once it’s back On, the system will only take a few minutes to reboot.
Walking through these steps is an easy and effective way of confirming the effectiveness of your furnace before you make a call to your Elk River professional. If there are still issues after you have gone through these steps, you will have a much wider idea on how to inform your [[technicians|specialists|experts}69] on what the problem might be. If you have questions or need to arrange a repair, call Home Comfort Heating & Air in Elk River.