Spring is in the air here in Elk River and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Home Comfort Heating & Air team has some helpful advice that will work to keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home look as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to correspond with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your fabulous sabbatical on social media, but try to hold off until after you are back to post information about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Home Comfort Heating & Air in Elk River a call at 763-276-0617.