The colder temperatures in winter usually manifest as high heating bills. Can you find ways to keep your home toasty without raising your energy cost so much? Yes! Home Comfort Heating & Air has some ideas for you to help keep your home comfortable and your heating bills lower.
Use these tips to help boost your energy efficiency and help reduce your heating bills this winter:
- Use sunny days in Elk River to help heat your home naturally. Pull back the curtains and open the blinds so the sun can give your furnace a little [[help|boost|break]14.
- Keep the cold air from getting in. Seal your windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- The more you can control the temperature in your home, the more you can manage your energy usage. A programmable thermostat will get the job done and help improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Clogged, dirty furnace filters make your furnace work overtime and lower your energy efficiency. Clean or replace them every three months.
- Do a quick inspection of your home. Are any vents or cold air returns blocked? Make sure they’re clear for better airflow and efficiency.
- If your furnace is more than 15 years old, start looking for a new energy-efficient model. This could save you the cost of emergency repairs and will help decrease your energy bills for years to come.
- Heat rises. Don’t let your heat rise so far and leak out through the attic. Ensure your attic is well insulated to keep warm air where you need it.
- Many people don’t realize this, but heat can also escape through your roof. Check it for loose or missing shingles and holes or areas that need to be sealed.
It may seem like managing your home’s energy efficiency is difficult, but with these tips, it should be a little easier. If you’re looking for more ways to boost your home’s energy efficiency, give us a call at 763-276-0617. We’ll help you keep your home comfortable throughout the year, even in the harshest Elk River weather.