According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have insects or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to contact Home Comfort Heating & Air in Elk River about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the experts at Home Comfort Heating & Air. A yearly checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Examining your system regularly and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clear.
Other ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and change them when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Elk River home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Home Comfort Heating & Air at 763-276-0617 or arrange an appointment online.