Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in Elk River, a lot of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it must be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—even with your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at Home Comfort Heating & Air can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Home Comfort Heating & Air in Elk River a call to begin. You can reach us at 763-276-0617 or book an appointment with us online.